Friday, December 01, 2006

High on Vodka

Vanya and me in a swimming pool in Delhi, summer of 1990.
No, no...not the alcohol. I'm talking about my soft-cheeked, insanely funny, beautiful little sister. Vanya Vodka.

By some miraculous stroke of luck, she was able to come and visit me for a few days. My father got invited to Norway to give a talk. And I guess they wanted him pretty badly, because my mother and Vanya travelled with him, for free.

Us, lazing around in Kerela, December 2004.
After three long months, I met my mum and sister. The family was reunited in Vanya's birthplace Oxford, last weekend. We celebrated my father's birthday on sunday and then Vanya came with me to Liverpool, while my parents travelled to Norway.
Vanya and me, holding hands in the sea, June 2005
Oh boy! Was she a sight for sore eyes! I don't think I've talked as much in these three months, as I have this week! We had so much to talk about, so much to laugh about. We laughed to the point of tears, sitting in the middle of a crowded pub...we talked for hours and hours about endless things.

Sharing a secret on the London Underground, May 2006.
And I spoilt her silly! Chinese meals, Pizzas, a movie in a cinema hall (a luxury I usually can't afford), posters, Beatles stickers, yummy snacks - I'm totally broke now, but I don't care! It was completely worth it!

Her coming here has made me so much stronger to deal with the coming remaining days of term, on my own.
In Hawaii, June 2005
When she was here, I didn't care that the sun didn't rise until 8.15 in the morning and set before 4 in the evening. I didn't care that the chinese meal cost 18 pounds and that a south park poster cost 3.99! I didn't care that my flatmates were being stupid or that I had an acting assessment that I would fail if I didn't practice this week!

We didn't do anything SPECIAL, but seeing her after that long was very,very special.

Love you Vannu! Miss you already! :(
At home, the day of my departure to Liverpool, September 200
But aha...see you in 18 days! :)

5 Comments:

Blogger tangled said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
HUG.

My sister's six years younger, and we're only just beginning to be friends.
In our case, I'll probably be the one visiting her at exotic locales :)

December 2, 2006 at 5:13:00 AM GMT+5:30  
Blogger Hari Adivarekar said...

Vannnnuuuu!!!!!!
She's like 10 years older than you anyway.

December 2, 2006 at 11:51:00 AM GMT+5:30  
Blogger Sylvan Goddess said...

10 years older than me!! hahahaha...maturity wise, you mean? yea, sometimes she is! :)

December 2, 2006 at 7:16:00 PM GMT+5:30  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cudloooooo it was too much fun i say! hadnt talked like that with you for 3 whole months!! thats a record!!!!!! YIKES! and i hadnt done those funny dances for ages hahah! miss that too much sometimes. come back!! love ya! xoxoxoxoxooxox.

December 2, 2006 at 7:21:00 PM GMT+5:30  
Blogger vichchoobhai said...

Happy reunion indeed!

December 3, 2006 at 1:10:00 PM GMT+5:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home