Thursday, November 23, 2006

Communication Breakdown

In the modern world of quick and technologically advanced modes of communication like sms, skype, msn, facebook, orkut and google chat, I find we communicate less and less.

I prefer phone calls from phone booths.
And letters in the mailbox.
There's a real effort there. To communicate.

Facebook will never be as personal, Orkut never that intimate, an sms never long enough, msn never real enough...

I suppose Emails are an answer to all the orkuts, and facebooks, and gazzags...but even those are too tedious to write because the orkuts and facebooks and gazzags are quicker. Soon couples will be fighting over facebook, and making up on orkut. What has the world come to??

Letters have a charm that msn and orkut will NEVER have. Have you ever opened an envelope and smelt a letter? You can't smell someone's words in the virtual world. And you can't read someone's words either. Here, you can only read letters of the alphabet, not someone's words in their handwriting.

I think I'm hopelessly old fashioned in some ways.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i miss writing letters

but the one i used to write to turned out to be a major bitch.... now i wish i never wrote :(

but one day, some one :)

November 24, 2006 at 1:03:00 AM GMT+5:30  
Blogger tangled said...

Never hopeless.
I wrote myself a ten page letter for my birthday.
On sheets from a yellow legal pad.
With four different pens.
On seven different days.

Letters will never ever die.


P.S. You linked me!! yay :)
P.P.S. Someone likes using variations! :) I liked 'bobbin' the best :D

November 24, 2006 at 3:33:00 AM GMT+5:30  
Blogger Sylvan Goddess said...

p.s. just to make it clear, i'm not anti email...i realise that letters take 7-14 days to arrive, may get lost on the way and also cost money..emails are quicker and you can say a lot in an email. My point is that even emails are becoming reduntant(if they hadnt, i wouldnt resent orkut and all, that much) because of these evil orkuts and facebooks and gazzags.

November 24, 2006 at 1:37:00 PM GMT+5:30  
Blogger duende said...

write me a letter someone!!
heh. i like this. i do i do.
and the one with the evil laugh is waiting at home with oil in the hair. and me to deliver the shampoo. i think i'll buy some cheap shit!!

November 24, 2006 at 7:42:00 PM GMT+5:30  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

^^
You don't need to publish all this, fucker!

November 26, 2006 at 1:44:00 PM GMT+5:30  
Blogger Sylvan Goddess said...

hahahahahaha...well baby, he DID promise me updates every now and then! :D

November 27, 2006 at 8:42:00 PM GMT+5:30  
Blogger Recho said...

hahaha..... u reap what u sow

November 28, 2006 at 1:31:00 AM GMT+5:30  
Blogger Woman?? said...

Goddess:

How much I agree with what you say.
In the tangle of advanced techniques, the purpose itself is defeated.
"
...you can only read letters of the alphabet, not someone's words...
"

Very true...

Ironic, that I should agree, since it takes a pharmacist to understand what I write.
:)

November 28, 2006 at 10:31:00 AM GMT+5:30  
Blogger vichchoobhai said...

woman seems to be a doctor in the house! Her prescriptions can be read only by a pharmacist? No fears, the grocer will think it is a list of provisions to be home delivered, the person who parked his car in no parking zone will think it is a traffic cop's challan, and woman's daughter will think it is a new musical notation and play it on her piano!

sorry for the aside! I entirely agree with Sylvan Goddess. Ho for letters, belles letters, letters of credit, letters rogatory, letters of intent, love letters, letters without fetters.

Yes, not only can u smelll the ink, notice how it fudged, and if from an old aunt or your amma, u can see the vermilion mark smeared on top with a grain of akshat ( rice) stuck to it and the letters Om or Jai Shri Ram written below it.

The address may start with an MRRY followed by name and ending with Avargal. Thiru for male and thirumati for female, or am I wrong?

Country letters, take me home to the place I belong!

November 29, 2006 at 8:35:00 PM GMT+5:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home