Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Another Narrow Escape

I'm sitting here with my leg propped up on top of a pillow, a knee the size of Sri Lanka and in a lot of pain. On saturday night, I fell onto shards of broken glass and split my knee open. Yummy, I know. I was rushed to hospital in the wee hours of the morning in an ambulance and after opening up my knee to see that there was no bits of glass in it, after an x ray and after a series of questions, I was given 7 stitches and sent home.

Rich was with me through this ordeal and I don't know how I'll ever thank him enough. He sat with me in the ambulance, while paramedics made sure I had no bone or nerve damage. He was by my side when I was on the stretcher in hospital and he squeezed my hand back as I crushed his, while I felt the nauseating sensation of needle and thread pulling at my knee. He brought me home in a taxi, consoled me as I cried like a fool (I'm very squeamish about blood and needles), carried me upto the third floor and tucked me into bed.

Three days later, I'm still in agonising pain. But I keep thinking to myself, even though I've been pretty unlucky these past few months, I've had two narrow escapes which I should be thankful for. The escape bit, that is, not the narrow bit. Heh.

Knees are so vital. When you stand, or walk...your whole body weight is on them. There are tissues, tendons, ligaments, bones, cartilage and fluid in it. I thankfully damaged only a bit of tissue and flesh. The cut is about 6 centimetres wide, across my knee and quite deep. It's higly uncomfortable and a very awkward place to get hurt, but at least there's no tendon damage, at least there wasn't any glass lodged in my knee and at least, I will walk away from this in a few weeks, reasonably unscathed.

These past few days, I've also been wondering..why is the cosmos at war with me this year?

3 Comments:

Blogger duende said...

the cosmos is not at war with you, dear. you're building character. oodles of it.

May 9, 2007 at 4:42:00 PM GMT+5:30  
Blogger Karlz + Ma said...

you poor girl :( Get well soon!

May 11, 2007 at 5:42:00 AM GMT+5:30  
Blogger vichchoobhai said...

A very unfortunate accident. Thank God u came out of it without major damage. Your knee will heal. Donot strain yourself. Use crutches for a while if need be.
Get well soon

May 11, 2007 at 7:21:00 PM GMT+5:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home