Friday, April 20, 2007

Bob

This entry, I can safely say, will not be an accurate enough description of how I felt and how it was, but this is atleast the tip of the iceberg of emotions and excitement of April 11th 2007.

This day will be etched in my memory forever. It's the day I saw the legendary Bob Dylan live in Glasgow. I got to Glasgow on the 11th afternoon, and a few hours later, I found myself walking into the SECC theatre that read the illuminated sign at the entrance: "Bob Dylan 11 April"..My heart wasn't pounding, but there was something unusual going on in there. I got into the theatre from the side entrance and that's when my heart leapt. There he was, in a white cowboy hat, merely 10 feet away from me!

I can't really describe how it was. And how I felt. I must sheepishly admit that I behaved like a stupid fan by trying to get closer and closer to the stage, and first politely and then rudely being told to go back to my seat repeatedly.

I found myself swaying to the new stuff, I felt goosebumps on my bare arms whenever I heard the harmonica. And all the slack he got for "selling out" because of "going electric"...it sounded fantastic. I was hoping he would play Hurricane,Blowin in the wind, The times they are a-changing, Mr Tambourine Man, and Just like a woman...but even though he didn't, I enjoyed every minute of it. And he did play one of my favourites... :)

More than anything, I had this overwhelming feeling that I was witnessing history. I was watching Bob Dylan live. Overwhelming is the right word. I was completely and utterly overwhelmed. He sat there singing, right infront of my eyes. I jumped, I cheered, I screamed, I swayed, I smiled..and when, completely out of the blue, without any warning, they started to play "Like a Rolling Stone", I bit my lip sheepishly..desperately and barely successfully trying to stop tears. His rendition of the song was new to my ears. I'd heard the original version, and this was very "modern". But it was amazing. He didn't change the song, he didn't ruin it..he evolved it. It was a beautiful feeling. Choking on my own breath and tears, I sang along with him. He ended the gig with "All Along the Watchtower".
When I was talking about going to watch Bob Dylan, a lot of people told me that he's old and past his prime, people told me he was no longer the musician he used to be, and that his previous concerts in the recent past had been "shit".
I say - Bollocks.

Despite the fact that he is 40 years past his prime, despite the fact that he is 66, despite the fact that he went electric, and despite the fact that his voice has aged with him, he was absolutely brilliant.

I mean, would you expect any less from a genius like him?

11 Comments:

Blogger Hari Adivarekar said...

WOW! You're truly blessed. I'm damn happy for you. Atleast you got to see him for all of us.

April 20, 2007 at 3:53:00 PM GMT+5:30  
Blogger duende said...

bob on your blog!!! full on envy!!!!

April 20, 2007 at 4:45:00 PM GMT+5:30  
Blogger Herr Voss said...

hahahah...i think it's damn cool to know someone who's seen him..i think it counts as Some Sort Of Contact With Bob Dylan...!!
reading the post has kind of made me hysterical :-)

April 20, 2007 at 10:13:00 PM GMT+5:30  
Blogger Cairodusk said...

Gawwwd bless you, gawwwd bless Mr. Zimmerman!

April 21, 2007 at 2:09:00 AM GMT+5:30  
Blogger Shilo Shiv Suleman said...

Im going for the bob dylan fest in shillong this year and thats only getting me all hyperhappy.
I cant even imagine what Id be like if I SAW him.
I'd probably die.
no actually. hehe.
Lucky yoo

April 23, 2007 at 3:26:00 AM GMT+5:30  
Blogger Unknown said...

Peat Bog Faeries and Porcupine Tree was my highlight! Although watching Dylan was an amazing feeling, but there was more to be expected, but enough said we went and watched a legend play!

April 23, 2007 at 6:30:00 PM GMT+5:30  
Blogger Unknown said...

You failed to mention the rest of u r week in Glasgow! :D LOL

April 23, 2007 at 6:34:00 PM GMT+5:30  
Blogger Sylvan Goddess said...

Well, I didn't see Porcupine Tree..bloody college started or else I wouldve stayed a few extra days to catch those legends live too! Peatbog faeries was amazing..but BOB DYLAN..is a different league all together.

As far as the rest of the week is concerned, heh! Will write a seperate post about that..although, the less said the better..don't you think guzuru? :P

April 24, 2007 at 3:21:00 AM GMT+5:30  
Blogger Unknown said...

Not really. In u r case, the more the merrier!

April 24, 2007 at 4:35:00 PM GMT+5:30  
Blogger vichchoobhai said...

so moving ! You could not contain your excitement.

"If music be the food of love... play on " Who said that?

April 24, 2007 at 7:35:00 PM GMT+5:30  
Blogger Hari Adivarekar said...

every cliche monger on the face of this earth.

April 25, 2007 at 11:24:00 AM GMT+5:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home