Thursday, February 08, 2007

Lessons learnt

Thought I'd write a new post...to distract from the last one...

Again I am reminded about why I ever entered the blog world, despite being against it my entire life previously. I am reminded once more, of a conversation I had with Robin on the subject. He said it perfectly.."Sometimes I just want to vent."

There is a reason I didn't allow comments on my blog about my toto's birthday..because I would hear well-intended but reduntant gyaan about it without anyone knowing what it's really like for me to go through something like that. Perhaps I should've done the same with 'Why didn't she scream'...While I know all the comments on the previous post were all well-intended and heartfelt...some things were said that are the easiest things in the world to say. But if you're actually put in that situation, it doesn't seem so easy anymore. Nor does it seem rational.

And panic should never be under-estimated. It's a very powerful thing. It can make a victim weaker, but it can also make an attacker stronger. A scream, or a badly aimed kick in the balls could have left the attacker panicking and that could've led to a physical assault as well as a sexual assault, said the police. Due to panic.

I'm writing this for the women (what the hell..even the men) I care for and worry about, here in Liverpool and back home - a few tips from the Liverpool Police.

If you suspect an attack - Don't engage with an attacker. Avoid eye contact. Cross the road over to the other side if you suspect someone on the pavement.

If you're going home and you're being followed, take the busiest streets and walk into a shop or a restaurant.

Don't carry a weapon with you. A thug will almost always be physically stronger and capable of overpowering you. Pepper Spray, Shock guns, pocket knives...you bringing them out could lead to a struggle, and you might be the one ending up with burning/blind eyes, in shock on the floor, or stabbed.

Don't hit your attacker unless you've been trained in self-defense by a professional. In all likelihood, your punches and kicks will only anger the attacker and he could retaliate. You might end up assaulted and beaten up, as well.

If you can, without engaging with the attacker, just run. Scream only on busy streets where you know you'll be heard. If you scream when there's no one around, he'll just bash your face in.

If you are mugged, let them take what they want. Nothing materialistic is worth your life.

Report it to the police immediately.

I suppose all this doesn't count if you know you're going to be killed or if you are actually being raped...then the best thing to do would be to scream your lungs out, hit him wherever you can, put up a fight..

All cities have good areas and bad areas...but unfortunately every once in a while, incidents happen in so called good areas as well. Please be careful everyone.

Oh, and the most obvious but also the most taken for granted rule - dont walk alone at night.

3 Comments:

Blogger Woman?? said...

Goddess:

"
...I would hear well-intended but reduntant gyaan about it without anyone knowing...
"


I completely agree.

By the way, I followed the link to Toto Annihilation. I like the work.

February 9, 2007 at 9:44:00 AM GMT+5:30  
Blogger vichchoobhai said...

The last line in your post is the crux

Dont go out alone at night.

Reminds me of the famous advice PUNCH gave to those who are about to get married - DONT

February 11, 2007 at 12:22:00 PM GMT+5:30  
Blogger Sylvan Goddess said...

Hey!!! I'm looking forward to getting married someday! And I don't believe that all marriages are a pain in the arse...it's what you make of it, that makes it what it is.

May 13, 2007 at 4:17:00 PM GMT+5:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home